Monday, May 21, 2012

{the black tufted chair}


Favorite thing #3

This black tufted leather chair…about 45 years old...sits in my living room/library. They don’t make ‘em like this anymore: small but heavy, solid quality. But that’s not why it’s my favorite thing. Like I said most favorite things come with a story or memory. Here’s this one:

My dad passed away when I was eleven years old. When I close my eyes to think of my dad, the vision of him sitting in this black leather chair instantly surfaces. He’s relaxed, happy and he’s got his little girl (me) sitting in his lap. Also in  his lap you will find his boxed radio blaring the Cleveland Indians baseball game. The phone rests next to his side waiting for a buddy to call on the play by play. I can smell the leather and hear and feel his laughter (he laughed loud… I think I get my laugh from my dad). My dad’s lap was a safe, happy place to be me and there was always room and time on his lap. In unison ALL of my heart and senses are engaged in that memory alone. That's why it is one of my favorite things!


A few years ago my mom knew this chair was special to me so she gave it to me for my home. She also found a picture of me sitting in my dad’s lap in that chair (with that radio)! So now the framed picture sits in my dad’s black leather chair in my library of memories. And it makes me smile.

Do you have a favorite thing in your living room? Please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment