Monday, June 18, 2012

{confession: flower addiction}

Last fall I purchased a red ladder back chair from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. Instantly I envisioned repurposing the chair as a flower planter for my screen porch. One snag: I did not allow myself to buy flowers this spring. I know I know, why not? Because I have this crazy tendency to get carried away (could be qualified as an addiction). So I used restraint and did not step into the garden center at all this year (alcoholics can’t go into bars either ya know). But Saturday morning came and with it, this thought: “Okay okay so maybe just a quit walk thru this ONE time to just pick up enough flowers to do the chair I purchased from Habitat LAST year.”

Yes, I succumbed. Oh my! I was in the right place at the right time following the right person in the red vest. She had her clearance gun in hand and was slashing the flowers and plants to 50cents. Jackpot! Definitely the right place at the right time. Thank you, kind red vest Lowe’s lady!

Here is the repurposed chair...
 


Potting philosophy: Thrill, Fill, Spill. Add thrill with different textures & varying heights/color. Fill it up (don’t wait for your arrangement to grow into the space, pack it day one). Be sure to include plants that will vine and cascade over the planter.

What can you repurpose from your attic, garage, or the Habitat ReStore to make as a creative accent to your yard or porch? Here’s a complete listing of the Habitat for Humanity ReStores in South Carolina.

Truth be told…confession time…my flower addiction couldn’t make it. I ended up grabbing more than my original intent. But I’m done now. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment